Main Entry:
1joy
Pronunciation:
\ˈjȯi\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English, from Anglo-French joie, from Latin gaudia, plural of gaudium, from gaudēre to rejoice; probably akin to Greek gēthein to rejoice
Date:
13th century
1 a: the emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing what one desires : delight b: the expression or exhibition of such emotion : gaiety2: a state of happiness or felicity : bliss3: a source or cause of delight
So at first I read the definition and thought, how is it possible that I feel so much joy.....especially being one of many to join the ranks of unemployment for almost the entire year, physical challenges, emotional heartache, blah blah blah. Then I realized that it's not so hard to figure out.
Reference 1a: the prospect of possessing what one desires.
I have a strong faith in God. I have an eternal family. I have a testimony of the Book of Mormon and the Bible that together clearly outline this specific time on the earth. This testimony brings PEACE (another of those great words of the season). Who doesnt need peace in such tumultuouse times!
Reference 2: A state of happiness or felicity; bliss.
First of all, I just love the word bliss. Just saying it brings a smile. As far as the state of happiness, sure, Cody hasnt had a job going on 5 months now, and the prospects are not looking that great. The flip side, I have enJOYed these last months together. We have had such a good time and Cody has spoiled me rotten! I get to go out BY MYSELF to run errands. Every mother knows that this is a luxury. Everyday is Saturday at our house.....who doesnt wish for that!
Reference 3: A source or cause of delight
Again, my faith, my testimony, my family, and my friends are just a start of my delight. Then there are the other, more trivial things like yarn (dont laugh, it brings me great delight.....Joanns is my happy place), the food network (again dont judge. Just because I hate cooking doesn't mean I cant love watching people who make it look fun), and the smell of Riggs blanket. All of these things bring me JOY.
I am certain I would not enJOY the simple pleasures and blessings of each day, had the challenges of this year not increased. So I ask you all to JOYn me, let me know about the things that make you happy despite the trials. I would love to hear about the GOOD THINGS in your lives as that too brings me great JOY.
One last thing to note. My Nanny had more struggles than I can name, yet she was also one of the most blessed women I have ever known. It didnt matter how many battles she had to fight, she would greet them with a smile. One of the dreams she had before she died was to publish a magazine of inspiration, humor, and uplifting. She was only able to get one edition completed and printed, but I cherish that little book. I want to share one of my favorite stories from Blueprint 4 Laffter & Living.
SHAKE IT OFF AND STEP UP
{A parable is told of a farmer who owned an old mule. The mule fell into the farmer's well. The farmer heard the mule 'braying' -or- whatever mules do when they fall into wells. After carefully assessing the situation, the farmer sympathized with the mule, but decided that neither the mule nor the well was worth the trouble of saving. Instead, he called his neightors together and told them what had happened and enlisted them to help haul dirt to bury the old mule in the well and put him out of his misery.
Initially, the old mule was hysterical! But as the farmer and his neighbors continued shoveling and the dirt hit his back...a thought struck him. It suddenly dawned on him that every time a shovel load of dirt landed on his back... HE SHOULD SHAKE IT OFF & STEP UP!
This he did, blow after blow. "Shake it off and step up... shake it off and step up... shake it off and step up!" he repeated to encourage himself. No matter how painful the blows or distressing the situation seemed, the old mule fought "panic" and just kept right on SHAKING IT OFF & STEPPING UP!
Your right! It wasn't long before the old mule, battered and exhausted, STEPPED TRIUMPHANTLY OVER THE WALL OF THAT WELL!
What seemed like it would bury him, actually blessed him... all because of the manner in which he handled his adversity.
That's life! If we face our problems and respond to them positively, and refuse to give in to panic, biterness, or self-pity... The adversities that come along to bury us usually have within them the potential to benefit and bless us! Remember that forgiveness - faith - prayer - praise - and hope are all excellent ways to "shake it off and step up" out of the wells in which we find ourselves!
This story reminds me of life. The dirt is a symbolism of the tests and trials that we go through in our lives. The stepping up is the symbolism of growing and learning from our life experiences. }
Find the JOY and share it with others, I cant think of a better way to celebrate this holliday season!
Love it! My new motto in life: Shake it off & Step up!
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about feeling JOY amidst adversity. I think what it is is humility. For me as I'm humbled I notice the little things so much more! The smell in the air, how soft my sheets are, how good food tastes, all that kinda stuff. Not to mention the health and safety of family & friends, my testimony of the gospel..the big things that keep me grounded. Thanks Jen:)
Jen,
ReplyDeleteWell we have a lot to be grateful for and if it weren't for the hard times in life maybe we wouldn't be as quick to remember our many blessings. Thank you for the post! I am so grateful for our adversity and experiences in life. I think they make us better and stronger people. I am JOYful for that! I miss and love you!!
Hi Jen,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Linda (Verdugo) Bigelow and I grew up with Cody. I was blog hopping and came across your blog. You guys have a very cute family. BTW...your waxing story....I seriously almost peed my pants I was laughing so hard. Thanks for sharing that. It totally made my night.